Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy New Year, and Stevie Y

Happy New Year everyone.

For those who don't know - I'm starting back at OSU as a graduate assistant. What does this mean to you? Not much, likely. But to me, it means that I was able to quit my job at Safelite Auto Glass, which is a good thing. Talk about an exercise in humility.....

I just finished listening to the ceremony during which the Detroit Red Wings retired the #19 sweater in honor of Steve Yzerman's career. My first NHL love is the Montréal Canadiens, however, Mr. Yzerman is the quintessential leader, hero, and captain. Listening to him beg for the patience of the Anaheim Ducks for the duration of his number retirement ceremony is the epitome of this man's humility. My friend (and staunch Red Wings fan) Mark alerted me to a great story from ESPN that is circulating that shows the off-ice side of Stevie Y.

I have a great story about him, as well. A few friends and I were at a Red Wings game back in the early 90s. We knew of a great parking area in those days, courtesy of a very nice fellow from Windsor who pointed us in the right direction. Anyhow, back then, it was pretty easy to catch the players after the game, and get a few autographs if you waited outside the back entrance to Joe Louis Arena, near the river. We waited and got quite a few autographs that night, and one of the last to come out was Steve Yzerman. Most of the other fans were gone by that time, and as he was walking away, he warned us to be careful getting back to our car, since it was getting late. As we were getting to our car, we heard a honking sound coming from the road. We looked to see Steve Yzerman looking toward us, bidding us goodnight by waving his arm out of the driver's window of his SUV. I think we all stood there for at least a minute, just to be sure it had really happened.

This is a genuinely nice guy who was one of the best and most loyal players the NHL has ever seen. He will be missed on the ice, and the #19 sweater will (rightfully so) never be worn again by a Detroit Red Wing.























Thanks, Steve.

No comments: